Statcounter

Thursday, 15 July 2010

Ancient church unearthed in Antalya

A 900-year-old Byzantine church has been discovered in the ancient city of Myra in Antalya.

The church, thought to have been built in the 12th century, was found six metres below the earth and although the 10-metre-high dome has been destroyed, the roof tiles and general structure were in good condition.

Ancient rock tombs in Myra.

Myra was once the capital city of the mighty Lycian empire. Its remains are visible today, north of Demre, which is on the Kas-Finke road. It's not known when it was founded as there's no mention of it in literature before the first century BC.

2 comments:

  1. Cok guzel!!!!Next time I visit Turkey I'll be sure and go there to see the old church and tombs. I'm married to Dogan from Izmir (Bergama)and I'm Canadian but almost ever year for 25 years we visit Turkey. I love, love it there.
    I really enjoy your Blog. I will now be a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica, thanks for your comments. If you're interested in writing something about your experiences in Turkey I would love to publish it!

    ReplyDelete