Statcounter

Friday, 12 November 2010

The Bucket list of an Adventurer, Trekking the Lycian Way in Turkey



Everyone should have a bucket list in life, how else are we supposed to motivate ourselves and live life to the Max? If you don’t already have one, make your to do list today and start enjoying life.

Among the many things people wish to do, about 20% put trekking the Lycian Way in Turkey on their bucket list and who can blame them? The Lycian way is an experience everyone must try at least once; it’s like climbing Mount Everest or diving with sharks.

Most people who go to Turkey would have heard of the Lycian Way, it is a 509 km way-marked footpath around the coast of Lycia in southern Turkey, from Fethiye to Antalya. Although the trail itself was opened 1999 it is made up of paths that are thousands of years old.

There’s an option to pick smaller sections to explore over a few days or to take a month and hike the whole trail to Antalya the way God and man intended. Graded medium to hard; the route is not a level walking; it has many ascents and descents as it approaches and veers away from the sea.

Trekkers can bring a tent or rent A fully equipped caravan or camper trailer, alternatively, there affordable hotels in nearby towns like Patara, Kalkan, Kas, Myra, Finike, Adrasan, Olympos, Cirali and Tekirova.
The Lycian Way has many beautiful sites, one of the many highlights is Butterfly Valley on the beach; start at Faralya and hike down the steep trail to reach Butterfly Valley on the coast. Vertical cliffs on both sides of the narrow beach define the valley. Kabak is the next town along the coast and boasts a secluded deep blue bay on the Mediterranean.



Along the trail are historic towns and ruins like Letoon and Xanthos. Xanthos is a mini version of Ephesus, with an amphitheater where gladiators fought in Roman times. See beautiful tile mosaics and Lycian tombs as well as the Chimaera or eternal flames of Mount Olympos which has tree houses overlooking the Mediterranean.

The most stunning part of the Lycian Way are not specific places or ruins but the experience, many begin to get used to life there. It isn't uncommon to spend a few hours with a stranger walking along the trail as they commute home on foot; the list of stunning views is endless but it's the smaller moments that you remember.

Trekking the Lycian Way trail is one of the few chances you will get to experience the Mediterranean the way people did in Ancient times. Trekking here is a fascinating experience no one should miss.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for using our photograph at the top of this post! It's from this post on our blog originally:

    Trekking in Turkey - Kate Clow and The Lycian Way

    ReplyDelete
  2. A caravan or camper trailer fully equipped, failing that, at affordable rates in nearby cities such as Patara, Kalkan, Kas, Myra, Finike, Adrasan, Olympos, Cirali and Tekirova.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Really very nice pictures of Turkey place. I really like to know about that In this place we can see full of adventure and natural environment. That's why Tourist attract to go this kind of place. Here I know about that there are so many historic towns and ancient items in this place which is quite unique experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like trekking. Here I found eye catching pictures of The Lycian Way in Turkey. It seems very beautiful place. I like to stay on tent. It is good to know that visitors can bring a tent also. I will keep your recommendation in my mind that Lycian way is an experience that everyone must try at least once. It is more exciting to see the stunning view in this place. After read this article I feel that this place is very nice and so many things are attracted the people to go this place like historic towns, beaches, and lots of adventure. Now I believe that we should not miss it to go this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really very Impressed to see this article. You covered everything about this place. I am really very surprised to see the stunning view of this place. I like first one picture which is very natural and eye-catching that I never seen before. Nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very lovely pictures. I like one thing that you covered all the topics in this article. Because of It is very difficult to covered all the things in enough space. You captured a very nice pictures of this place. I like to know about your personal experience with this place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to see this classic pictures. It is stunning view. I really like to know about your beautiful trip. After seen this pictures I am sure that you had a great fun in this place. It is the perfect place for those people who want to take experience of great adventurous.Nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures are looking very nice. I like the first one picture. It is very nice. I like to go this kind of place. It is unique experience to go this kind of adventurous place. I will definitely considering this destination for my future planning of holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel very glad to know about this beautiful place. I am very eager to know some more things about this place. I think that It would be fantastic experience to go this place. Such a nice article!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I found very nice picnic spot. It is very Interesting to know about Turkey place. I know very nice thing about this place like historic towns, adventurous place and so many things. It is an amazing experience. I really want to go this place. And I will go to this beautiful place very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never heard about this place. But you shared very Interesting things about this place. You give us very nice option for holidays. I like to go this place for enjoyment. I love to read your wonderful article.

    ReplyDelete