Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Getting married in Turkey: Part I

If it’s your dream to say ‘I do’ on a beautiful Mediterranean beach, Turkey makes an ideal setting. The country has become popular in the last few years with couples wanting an exotic location for their wedding – but one that doesn’t break the bank.

But before you get carried away with plans for your dream day, you’ll need to deal with the least romantic aspect: the bureaucracy. 

Before you leave

Before you get hitched in your dream Mediterranean setting, you must meet the legal requirements for both your home country and Turkey. Below you’ll find details of what you’ll need to do if you’re from the UK. For US citizen’s the process is very similar. For more details, however, check here.

Firstly, the would-be bride and groom must get a Certificate of No Impediment from their local registry office. This proves to officials that you’re both footloose and fancy free and able to marry each other. 

You'll need:
  • Birth certificate (a notarised copy is acceptable)
  • Divorce decree or death certificate (if previously married)
  • If you have changed your name you will need to bring your change of name deed poll
  • Newspaper advertisement showing your marriage declaration. You must include the whole page so the date can be seen. Your intended marriage must be advertised for seven days so if the paper is a daily edition you will need seven days’ worth of advertisements.
  • Sworn affidavit
  • Special delivery envelope (for your documents’ return)
  • Fee (£64.80. You will need to pay another £64.80 when you pick up your certificate).
This will take around 21 days to process, and during this time banns will be posted in the register office. 

Once you receive your certificate you will need to send it to either the British Consulate General in Izmir or Istanbul, or the British vice-Consulate in Antalya, or the British Embassy in Ankara so your certificate can be translated into Turkish.

The certificate is valid for six months, unless you obtain it in Scotland, in which case it’s valid for three months.

Tomorrow: what should you do if you’re already in Turkey and DON’T have a Certificate of No Impediment? And what kind of ceremony should you have?


  1. This information is incorrect. You do not need newspaper advertisements! Where did that come from!
    You need:
    Certificate Of No Impediment
    Full Birth Certificate
    The above information is correct if previously married
    You will need to make a sworn declaration to marry AFTER you have submitted the documents for translation.
    The fee is 160TRY in izmir.